Sunday 23 January 2011

Evolving English!

While staying in London over Christmas I visited The Evolving English exhibition at the British Library. My dissertation is about how people perceive different english accents on screen so the exhibition seemed like it would provide some nice easy research.


Statue of Isaac Newton - Outside Library


The exhibition was packed and I was happy it was the kind of place where it was okay to be on your own. In a listening booth I listened to extracts of famous speeches and slang from all over the country and then moved on to look at the language of propaganda during the war. This is what I found:


Incase you can't read the bottom section it reads:
If your young man neglects his duty to his
King and Country, the time may come when he 
will NEGLECT YOU!

Persuasive stuff! and quite fascinating. I'm just relieved I will never have to apply the ideas in this poster to any man I know.

So the exhibition turned out to be interesting but not so useful for my dissertation. Never Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment